Friday 14 September 2007

Food and especially grapes. Mmmmm

Have you heard the news? Apparently they're saying that grapes are poisonous to dogs!!!! Have you ever heard anything so ridiculous? I love grapes and don't think I could live without them. They're my most favourite treat. I even go shopping with the she boss and don't mind waiting in the car for as long as it takes as I know she'll have bought some grapes for us to share on the way home.
Anyway, this is what they say .......

"If your dog has ingested large quantities of raisins or grapes, (s)he will immediately begin to vomit repeatedly, and will become extremely hyperactive and jittery. After about 24 hours, the dog will become lethargic and depressed. (S)he may experience abdominal pain and may stop urinating, drinking, and/or eating. (S)he will also become dehydrated. Both his/her vomit and feces will contain partially digested raisins or grapes. His/her breathing may become irregular, and (s)he will also become hypercalcemic (high calcium concentrations) and hyperphosphosphatemic

Ultimately, without treatment, the dog will go into renal (kidney) failure, and may die a horrible very painful death. Of the 10 reported cases, only 5 dogs survived, & these only with early, aggressive, & long-term treatment
"

eeeargh! I don't want that but it does say LARGE quantities. I better make sure the bosses see that so they won't leave large quantaties out to tempt me. I did eat the whole week's worth of the she boss's grapes for lunches once when she'd made the mistake of leaving them down by the door with her bag. She didn't notice for a while cos I made sure the bag was still neat and tidy and I left all the stalks in there hehe

Something else I found ......
"An increasing number of cases have been seen of raisin and grape poisoning in dogs. From available evidence, as little as seven raisins or grapes can be toxic. If you suspect your dog has eaten raisins or grapes, get him to the vet straight away. Signs of toxicity including vomiting, food refusal, diarrhoea and lethargy. Untreated, a dog will develop acute kidney (renal) failure and die."

Scary. As little as SEVEN grapes. They must be pathetic little dogs, that's all I can say. Not REAL dogs like me

No comments: